the fiddle leaf fig

Over the weekend while perusing pinterest  and home blogs I fell in love with a plant, the fiddle leaf fig tree (FLF or ficus lyrata). This plant is basically the Celine bag of house plants at the moment. It is easy to see why, they do best when left alone, much like the care of succulents but way bigger. I was instantly on a  mission to find one and had read that they could be found at IKEA for $12 (great because a large tree can cost as much as $200+!) I didn't find one at IKEA but found one at home depot instead. Now be warned I did what everyone says not to do, I purchased one with brown spots! I had to because I was pretty much obsessed with getting one immediately. I did get a 50%off discount ($14, now if it doesn't survive the hurt won't be as bad) being that it has said spots. With that being said, upon my previous online reading the spots didn't bother me much because the FLF most likely didn't have adequate watering and I am pretty confident that it will be okay (crossing fingers). 



My dining room has been neglected the most in my home and I am finally going to spiff it up a bit in the upcoming year, think this plant will help a lot (love it's big leaves and structure). Below are some key tips to keeping a FLF happy, in case you are looking for more greenery in your home.

 


Next purchased is to find a thrifted or vintage bench, I'm hoping to find something awesome while at home for Christmas next week! xo

4 comments:

  1. I have been obsessed with this plant also!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is so pretty, now to wait to see if my green thumb prevails! lol

      Delete
  2. This is a cool plant! I don't have a south window in my apartment, so I think it would fail to thrive in my home, not to mention Dominic would go nuts messing with the leaves.

    My mom likes "snake plant"s their just these crazy plants and it goes straight up, but they are pretty cool, low maintenance and grows like crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it and so far only two leaves have bit the dust, but I have two new leaves. Any place in your home that gets a lot of indirect light will work! :)

      Delete

thanks for stopping by and leaving a note behind*
xo